By Michael Hughes
I first witnessed Sara Farb in action when she played the role of Bet in the Mirvish Production of Oliver at the Princess of Whales Theatre. She was twelve years old. But her theatrical debut came at the age of nine, when she played young Jane in the World premiere of Jane Eyre: The Musical. Now a beautiful, 22 year old, U of T student, Sara has become one of Toronto’s most sought after young performers. Her one woman show, inspired by her sister, “REBECCA” has been featured in the Luminato, Summerworks and Paprika Festivals. (It is amazing) After producing a concert version of Pasek and Paul’s Edges: A Song Cycle with Gabi Epstein, the show was picked up as part of the Acting Upstage 08/09 season and enjoyed a long and successful run. Of the performance Sara gave in that production, the Toronto Star’s Richard Ouzounian wrote that “Sara Farb burns with a clean bright light”. I am not entirely sure what that means…but it sounds really good. I am going to go out on a limb and say that he is referring to her as a STAR.
On top of being incredibly talented, she is also a wonderful friend, yoga partner, lover of sushi, cheese and Shoshana Bean
. Not a day goes by that we don’t talk or hang out together…I think we might be dating….AND DID I MENTION THAT WE ARE SINGING A DUET ON MARCH 9th?? CAUSE WE TOTALLY ARE!!!! YOU DON’T WANNA MISS IT!!!!
In closing, I leave you with Sara’s answers to a questionnaire that I brazenly stole from Playbill.com
. And by “brazenly” I mean I copied and pasted it from playbill.com while sitting in my parent’s basement in my pajamas…
1. Full given name: Sara Tobi Farb
2. Hometown: North York
3. Special Skills: I don’t know… I can bend all the way sideways and do various other bendy things thanks to Bikram Yoga.
4. First Broadway Show ever saw: Jane Eyre
5. First Toronto Show ever saw: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
6. If you could go back in time and catch any Broadway show what would it be: Because of how important it is and my recently acquired taste for it, West Side Story
7. Current show you have been recommending to friends: A New Brain
8. Performer you would drop anything to see: Shoshana Bean
9. Most played song on your iPod: I don’t own one. I also don’t have iTunes. When the mood strikes, I listen to music. Most recently, Patricia Zentilli
and Michael Hughes
10. One CD you can’t live without: August and Everything After by Counting Crows
11: Last book you read: For pleasure: The Way the Crow Flies; for school: The Faerie Queene
12. Must-see TV show: 30 Rock
13. Last good movie you saw: The Wrestler
14. Favourite card game: I suck at cards. Hearts.
15. Pop culture guilty pleasure: Facebook; all those magazines
16. First stage kiss: Sam Tirgari
17. Favourite pre show meal: Anything that won’t ravage my stomach
18. How you got your equity card: Jane Eyre
19. Worst onstage mishap: In Jane Eyre, I got stage slapped in the face by the person playing my antagonistic brother figure, and one night he slapped me for real, very hard. It hurt a lot. And I couldn’t leave the stage for another 20 minutes.
20. Worst costume ever: The shiny spandex onesie in A Midsummer Night’s Dream
21. Cats or Dogs: Dawgs
22. Who would play you in the movie: Lea Michele or Anne Hathaway
23. Worst job you ever had: Taking delivery orders at a restaurant. Mean bosses mixed with a sixteen-year-old girl’s fragile ego is a recipe for disaster. I screwed up a lot at that job.
24. TV or commercial gig you most enjoyed: Playing Celine’s sister was fun, the people were nice.
25. Leading lady role you have been dying to play: Elphaba.
Come see Sara Farb perform live at: SING OUT, LOUISE!: Monday, March 9th, 8pm. $25.00. Buddies in Bad Times.
Toronto’s Biggest Theatre Stars.
ALL TOGETHER. ALL STAR. ALL FABULOUS.
ALSO Michael Hughes’ Cabaret, How Long Has This Been Going On, is ONE NIGHT ONLY TOMORROW Wednesday March 4th, 2009 at Statler’s Piano Lounge. 487 Church Street. 8:00-9:00pm. $10.00. Call 416 962-1209. Michael welcomes special guests Sara Farb and Lindsey Frazier. BOOK NOW!